18 Jul How to Get Started with Facebook Messenger Marketing
All of us marketers love to complain about Facebook and its constantly changing algorithms. If Facebook has mostly worked for your business, don’t give up on it yet. Facebook Messenger marketing might just be your saving grace.
Messages sent via Facebook Messenger have an average 88% open rate and 60% click-through rate.
Mind-blowing. And potentially business-changing.
Why is Facebook Messenger so awesome?
“Regular” Facebook is governed by an algorithm that determines what shows up in your feed and what doesn’t. Facebook Messenger is not governed by an algorithm.
This means you can send a direct message to your Facebook followers – and they will see it.
However, you can’t send mass messages through Facebook Messenger. Like email marketing, you need a third-party platform. Chatfuel, MobileMonkey, Streamchat and ManyChat are great options.
How to build a Messenger list
Yup, sorry – you can’t just start messaging people. You need to build your list first. But it’s honestly not that hard. In this great article by Neil Patel, he shared a few options. Here are three:
- Add a Facebook Messenger bot to your website. Anyone who visits your website is invited to become a Messenger contact. Once they do, they can chat with you live via the bot.
- Run a Facebook Messenger ad. Anyone who clicks on the ad becomes a Messenger contact.
- Use a Facebook post autoresponder. When someone comments on a post, a Messenger bot automatically responds. Once that person replies, they become a contact. Try a quiz or a riddle to generate a lot of comments.
What content works best for Facebook Messenger marketing
I did a lot of research to learn what generates the most engagement. In no specific order, this is what works best:
- Gif replies (ask people to answer a question with a gif)
- Finish the sentence
- Opinions (ask a thought-provoking question)
Facebook Messenger marketing might not be right for you, of course. If you’re B2B, I wouldn’t bother. If you’re B2C, I’d definitely give it a go.